2015年7月24日 星期五

【英文寫作的樂趣】

活到老學到老,大家一起學英文!

Fun with English Writing (4)

【英文寫作的樂趣】

26)  Please accept my heartfelt sympathies. May you find comfort and the strength to cope in this difficult time.

Improvement: sympathy (不加s) ; I hope you; find strength with which to recover the loss of someone you love during this difficult time

(May you+V祝福指不一定會達成之事;I hope that you…指期望可能之事…) comfort (舒適) 此處用法欠妥。cope + with +困難

【中文】:謹致真誠的同情。願妳堅強來克服喪失親人之痛。
建議更正:Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.  I hope that you can find comfort and strength with which to recover the loss of someone you love during this difficult time.


27)  We all appreciate your contribution in compiling and updating our class directory over a long period of 10 years.

Improvement:  contribution to compiling and updating
【中文】:我們感謝你過去10年來,對編輯與更新同學通信資料。

註:contribut….. to + 名詞/Ving =make a contribution to +Ving/名詞

建議更正:We all appreciate your contribution to compiling and having our directory of classmates updated over a period as long as 10 years.
註:用having + O+ updated比用updating + O更好;同學通信錄用directory of classmatescontact book of classmates均可

28)  Do you mind to add someone into the contact list?

Improvement: adding; to ( mind+ Ving); (add A + to +B….)
【中文】:請將某人的名字加入連絡人的名單。
建議更正:Do you mind having someone added to the contact list?


29)  It seems to matter little that I had missed your gem show the first time - not even been aware at the time there being one put on stage.

Improvement: missed; (was) not even aware of there being one put on stage at the time (been – omitted) 註:seems現在式不與had missed過去完成式併用

(simple present tense is not in sequence with past perfect tense) be aware of +Ving /noun
【中文】:我錯過你們首次精釆的演出,似乎不太重要-我甚至還不知道有一齣戲正在演出。
建議更正:It matters little that I missed your gem show the first time. For I was not even aware that there was one show being put on the stage at the time. I was not even aware of there being one show put on stage at the time.

註:原句用been aware,似乎用了(having) been….. 與主要子句的seems (現在式) 又不搭配。又原句用It seems to matter little…. 稍嫌嚕囌。

30)   Swimming is my kind of exercise, which I do five or six times per week.

Improvement: a kind of my favorite exercises ; take(exercise) 運動
【中文】:游泳仍本人喜愛的運動之一,我每周游五或六次。
建議更正:Swimming is a kind of my favorite exercises.  I take this exercise five or six times per week.
註:do exercise(S) 做功課的練習。

Image result for swimming

31)  I made it to the summit of the Jade Mountain after a 3-day-2-night treck/climb to witness the sunrise. 
台灣玉山
Improvement:a 3-day and 2-night track (treck is misspelled)
【中文】:經過三天兩夜的攀登,我終於登上玉山山頂,親眼目睹日出美景。
建議更正:I made it by climbing to the summit of the Jade Mt. after 3-day and 2-night track/climbing to enjoy witnessing the beautiful sunrise.

Image result for 台灣玉山

32)  You brought us "virtually" experiencing those eventful and exciting moments along with you.

Improvement: to experience those…. ; (along with you-omitted) 
【中文】:你帶我們『虛擬地』與你一同經歷,那些多釆多姿與令人興奮的時光。
建議更正:You brought us to “virtually” experience those eventful and exciting moments.

33)  My husband asked me what did I do to deserve this ?

   Improvementwhat I did to be worthy of this gift/ deserve being given this gift註:what I did作為asked之受詞
【中文】:我先生問我何德何能,竟獲贈此珍貴禮物。
建議更正:My husband asked me what I had done(did) to deserve this gift. (had done強調時間比asked更早)

34)  One reason is that I feel don’t have anything exciting to share.

Improvement: that I don’t feel I have
【中文】:其中理由之之是,我並未感覺到有任何興奮的事可以與諸位分享。
建議更正:One reason is that I don’t feel that I have anything exciting to share.

35)  Three adults and four school age children were baptized.
        
Image result for school children
       

Improvement: four school children

【中文】:有三位成人與4位學童受洗。
註:school children(= children at school) 學童,本身含義清楚,不必再加age
建議更正:Three adults and four school children were baptized.


Justin Lai

07/24/2015


沒有留言:

張貼留言